Rebuking and resisting the work of The Devil and his demons is a critical part of prayer life for a believer. In fact, it could be argued that resisting the devil with the use of God’s Word is as important as the words of the prayer itself. Do you really need to rebuke and resist the evil one?
YES. Make no mistake about it!
When you walk with Christ you will come under attack from Satan. It’s a spiritual fact and all born-again believers have experienced some form of attack at one time or another.
While God will bless you with His grace, Satan and his demons will attack you with his lies. Don’t worry, our father has given us all we need in His Word to come out on top every time.
How do we resist spiritual attacks from Satan?
James, the brother of Jesus, tells us in his letter to the church;
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. – James 4:7 KJV
God talks a lot about the devil and demons in The Bible. They are real. You, as a believer in Christ, have authority over each and every one of them – and they know this!
Use Your God-given Authority to Rebuke and Resist The Devil and his Demons
Do not fear the devil and his demons. They have no power over you when you stand in The Word of God and use your authority in Christ. Flex those spiritual muscles because they are filled with the power of Christ Jesus when used correctly.
Jesus dealt with many unclean and evil spirits during His ministry;
- In Mark 5 we see Him driving many demons out of the spirit of the man who was living in the tombs. Jesus spoke to the spirit these words “Come out of the man, thou unclean spirit”.
- In James 2 we learn that the demons (devils) fear Jesus. James tells us “Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble”
Jesus sent His disciples into the world to share the good news. Before He did so, He gave them power and authority over Satan and his demons;
- To the first twelve disciples He said “Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.” – Luke 9:1 KJV
- To the next seventy disciples he said “Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.” – Luke 10:19 KJV
Jesus healed people by cleaning them of any evil spirit with His Word. He drove them out and when they left the person, the person was healed, their sight or hearing restored. Jesus defeated Satan and his demons once and for all when He gave His life on the cross at Calvary.
You Have Victory in Christ to Resist and Rebuke Satan
- The first letter of John tells us “Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. – 1 John 4:4 KJV
For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: – 1 John 5:4a
- Jesus tells us in the gospel of Mark “And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils;” – Mark 16:17 KJV
Next steps in prayer:
When we pray in faith – believing our prayer has been answered in the spirit and whatever we have asked for will manifest itself in the natural – we must wait with expectation for God to provide. We may have prayed for healing or for help to repair our marriage or for God to provide in some other way. If we have prayed in God’s will, we must expect Him to stand behind His Word and provide. That’s His promise after all!
While we wait for The LORD to provide we must continue to praise and glorify God – even though our wait may be short or long. Our praise and expectation is our faith in God.
Satan will try to tell you that your prayer hasn’t been answered; he may make that injury or illness “feel” a little worse than it did yesterday (before you prayed). He will suggest things that will seem a lot like your own thoughts, and he will try to weaken your faith.
Praise God! When this happens, it’s usually a pretty good sign that Your prayer HAS been answered. God knows it. Satan knows it. You know it when you surrender to The Holy Spirit and allow Him to guide you, comfort you, protect you, and provide for you.
Tell the devil and his minions that He is a liar. Shout it if you have to!
- The Apostle John tells us what Jesus thought of Satan; “He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.” – John 8:44 KJV
Rebuke and resist the lies of Satan and wait with expectation for your prayers to be answered and God’s provision to manifest in the natural.