What is Corporate Prayer?
Matthew 18:19-20 – Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
Is Corporate Prayer Biblical?
There are many examples in The Holy Bible where the early church prayed together;
- Acts 2:42 – And they continued stedfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
- Acts 1:14 – These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.
- Acts 12:5-18 – Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.
- 2 Corinthians 1:11 – Ye also helping together by prayer for us, that for the gift [bestowed] upon us by the means of many persons thanks may be given by many on our behalf.
- Joel 1:14 – Sanctify ye a fast, call a solemn assembly, gather the elders [and] all the inhabitants of the land [into] the house of the LORD your God, and cry unto the LORD,
- Nehemiah 9:1-38 – Now in the twenty and fourth day of this month the children of Israel were assembled with fasting, and with sackclothes, and earth upon them.
- Acts 4:24-31 – And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou [art] God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is:
- Galatians 6:2 – Bear ye one another’s burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 – If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
- James 5:16 – Confess [your] faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
How does Corporate Prayer help believers?
While there is nothing written in The Bible to suggest that corporate prayer is any more powerful than individual prayer and thanksgiving, we can experience and enjoy positive benefits to group prayer.
- Praying with a group of believers can bring about increased levels of faith, as we are bolstered by the body of Christ
- Praying in a group lifts the voices of many to our Father in Heaven
- Praying with other believers in a group can help to strengthen the group as a whole
Corporate Prayer Guidelines
It is important to remember that when we pray we must do so with;
- Truth (Psalm 145:18 — The Lord is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth.)
- Obedience (1 John 3:21-22 — Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God. And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.)
- Humility (James 4:10 — Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.)
- Thanksgiving (Philippians 4:6 — Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.)
- Confidence (Hebrews 4:16 — Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.)
We should seek like-minded believers, with the same understanding and spirit of surrender and servants heart. We should be praying always with belief and expectation.